National Honor Society
The Blessed William Joseph Chaminade Chapter of
North Catholic High School
The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921.
2023-2024 Updates for NHS Members and Spring Candidates
- Current NHS members will be required to document forty (40) hours of service for the 2023-24 school year.
- The deadline to submit service hours coincides with the school service due date, April 11, 2024.
- Candidates applying for membership in Spring 2024 will need to document the following service hours:
- Junior applicants will need to document 100 hours of service by the end of the first semester of the 2023-24 school year.
- Sophomore applicants will need to document 60 hours of service by the end of the first semester of the 2023-24 school year.
- Application for membership to NHS is by invitation only, as determined by the cumulative grade point average. Students eligible for membership to NHS will be notified via email once Semester 1 grades are finalized, usually late January/early February. The link for the online application, along with detailed instructions for completing the application, will be included in the notification email.
All applicants will be required to demonstrate excellence in the four pillars of NHS. Excellence in one area does not make up for a deficit in another area. The four pillars are:
- Scholarship – you must maintain a 4.25 cumulative QPA (weighted) for membership consideration.
- Service – you must be dedicated to service, above and beyond the school requirement – see the updates section for the current service hour requirement
- Leadership – you must take on a leadership role where you are responsible for organizing, motivating, and directing the activities of others
- Character – you must always be a person of good character, both in and out of school
To learn more about membership requirements and Chapter By-Laws, please click here:
The Constitutional Obligations of all Duly Inducted Members:
- Dues: There is a required one-time membership fee to be paid prior to induction.
- Maintaining standards: Once selected, all members are expected to maintain standards of academic excellence, service, leadership, and character.
- Chapter Service Project(s):
All members are expected to participate in any chapter service projects, including peer tutoring.
- Individual Service Projects(s):
In addition to the chapter service project noted above, members are required to perform additional service according to their own talents and interests. NHS members are expected to complete a minimum average of 20 hours per semester or 40 hours per year of service.
- Attendance: All chapter members are expected to attend all chapter meetings throughout the course of the year.